EXECUTIVE/MANAGERIAL (E/Ms): Unless you are currently under a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program approved by OPM, you must submit written statements (narrative format) describing accomplishments that would satisfy the E/M qualifications. Applicants who do not provide a narrative statement will only be considered for an IPA appointment, if applicable.Essential
1. Leading Change
. This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent in this E/M is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People
. This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent in this E/M is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results-Driven Leadership
. This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent in this E/M is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen
. This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions
. This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, non-profit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL (P/Ts): All applicants must submit written statements (narrative format) of accomplishments that would satisfy the P/T qualifications. You must address each P/T qualification separately.
1. Education strongly preferred at the Ph.D. level, or equivalent professional experience, or a combination of education and equivalent experience, in environmental biology.
2. Substantial research contributions and strong evidence of scholarship and leadership in environmental biology as evidenced in publications and professional and leadership activities.
3. Skill in recognizing, developing, and implementing approaches and programs which build on the expertise and knowledge of researchers and educators in other disciplines to develop solutions to important cross-cutting research and education problems.
4. Broad understanding of universities and other institutions where research and education in science and engineering is conducted. Knowledge of grant and contract administration, fiscal management, and budget preparation with experience in scientific research support.
- When responding to the P/T and E/M qualifications, you must clearly show that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of this position by submitting narrative responses in which you detail your experience in each of the E/Ms and P/Ts.
- Your examples should be clear and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity of the programs managed and program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives and level of contacts.
To view additional information on the proper preparation of Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) statements, applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Executive Qualifications.