SimpsonScarborough is an integrated marketing and branding agency that serves higher education clients. We spend our days building higher education brands that endure, inspire, and elevate the all-important work of colleges and universities in shaping our future. Our company has approximately 40 employees and runs a remote team spanning coast to coast. We have roots firmly planted in Alexandria, Virginia, Columbus, Ohio, and Oakland, California. You’ll have an opportunity to work alongside respected colleagues who are challenged in their roles, excited for the future, and who make each other and our work better.
Right now, we are looking for an experienced and passionate web developer to join our growing digital team. This position is a hybrid role focused on front-end development and WordPress theme development. Our goal is to find someone who has strong front-end skills including a portfolio of advanced, custom HTML5 experiences.
An ideal candidate pairs their front-end skill with an aptitude for WordPress theming and configuration. You’ll spend about 50% of your time writing custom HTMLS/CSS and the other 50% of your time developing custom themes with component-based page templates within WordPress. Successful candidates must demonstrate experience and ability to use the WordPress Codex effectively and efficiently and have a portfolio of incredible front-end work.
- Collaborating on effective, responsive design and turning it into working applications
- Building beautiful front-end interfaces
- Creating and customizing custom WordPress themes and plugins
- Customizing existing themes and plugins for many different CMS platforms
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
- 3-5 years of experience
- Knowledge of libraries and frameworks such as Bootstrap, Tailwind CSS, jQuery , pre-processing frameworks (Sass or Less), and integration experience with common APIs.
- Experience building WordPress themes using Advanced Custom Fields and the Guttenberg Editor
- Experience with Drupal theming and other open source and proprietary CMS platforms
- Strong sense of web design and attuned to the fundamentals of user experience.
- Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into working HTML pages
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git
- Experience implementing Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Experience with Pantheon hosting platform preferred
- Ability to handle projects independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Must be comfortable working with multiple remote creative, digital, and account teams located across the country
- A track record of contributing development support to the WordPress community preferred
SimpsonScarborough offers a full benefits package, including nationwide health coverage, dental, vision, a 401k, unlimited PTO, paid parental leave, and over 15 holidays per year. Our salary will be commensurate with your experience, so be ready to let us know what you're seeking. Please submit your cover letter and resume to this posting.
SimpsonScarborough is an equal opportunity employer. We have a strict anti-harassment policy and a no tolerance non-discrimination policy. We welcome employees of all backgrounds regardless of nationality, race, religion, gender identity, veteran status, politics, favorite sports team, ability to spend a weekend on a Netflix binge, and all characteristics protected by state and federal law. Come as you are; we will be proud to have you on our team!