Hi, we're the Promoted Inventory team at OpenTable, and we're looking for a frontend engineer.
OpenTable is a large marketplace of diners and restaurants, and our team builds products and components to support that marketplace. Thousands of restaurants use the applications built by our dedicated full-stack engineering team to create marketing campaigns, build custom experiences for diners, and much more. Our team is a significant revenue driver for OpenTable and a strong source of diners to restaurants. The projects we work on have high visibility in the organization, including our CEO, Debby Soo.
We are committed to helping restaurants navigate the Covid pandemic by curating new and better user experiences and products for restaurants to connect with the millions of diners who use OpenTable.
You'll help us:
- Improve our existing applications to meet new requests from restaurants and internal users
- Write completely new user experiences using modern frontend tools
- Grow as a team by contributing your ideas and experience
- Define new features by working closely with product managers and designers
- Build systems that span multiple teams across OpenTable
- Help restaurants overcome the Covid pandemic
- Deliver impactful initiatives that improve the lives of restaurateurs and diners
You'll fit right in if:
- You have an empathetic mindset and enjoy working with developers, designers and product owners of all career levels
- You have at least one year of work experience developing for the web
- You enjoy crafting great web experiences using semantic HTML and CSS
- You value testing as a way to ensure a great user experience
- You possess an appetite for refining and improving the end user experience as well as the developer experience
- You see communication as the cornerstone of building solid applications
- You like collaborating cross teams to find the best solutions
- You are a self starter and OK with working remotely, while not hesitating to reach out when you need a pairing partner or second opinion
Please consider applying if this role sounds interesting to you even if you don't meet all the requirements. A computer science degree is not required to join our team.
About our team:
We are five frontend engineers, three backend engineers, two product managers, and one engineering manager. We work with several designers, the Restaurant Marketing team, and ISRs (Inside Sales Representatives) who maintain a close relationship with restaurants. We are based in the Bay Area and Los Angeles, but are working remotely until mid-2021.
OpenTable teams are independent and come up with their own way of working. Our team uses an agile process with two week sprints to prioritize and drive work. How do you prefer to work? You will have lots of opportunity to positively affect the way we work together.
We believe in a healthy work-life balance, and that teams with people from diverse backgrounds create the best end user experiences.
You are not expected to come into the role already knowing all the things our team uses, but we hope you have a passion for learning new skills. We enjoy pairing to share knowledge, and will help you pick up new techniques. We love to discuss engineering excellence and apply best practices to build scalable and resilient systems. We also look forward to you teaching us new things.
We hope that you will come work with us. Our interview starts with a phone conversation with one of our engineers and our team lead. They will tell you more about what we do and ask you about your background and experience.
Next up, we will invite you for a remote interview with a few of our team members, including engineers and product managers. We will pair with you on a coding task, and have a conversation where we can get to know each other. We'll ask some deeper technical questions, and talk about how you approach software development and the culture of building products. You'll have a chance to ask us what we are building, how we work, what we stand for, and anything else you'd like to know.
OpenTable, part of Booking Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: BKNG), powers reservations for the hospitality industry. OpenTable's software seats more than 1 billion people per year and helps more than 60,000 restaurants, bars, wineries and other venues attract guests, manage capacity, improve operations and maximize revenue.
Since its inception in 1998, OpenTable has seated more than 1.5 billion diners in over 20 countries. The Company is headquartered in San Francisco, California, and the OpenTable service is available throughout the United States, as well as in Canada, Germany, Japan, Mexico, the UK and many more locations.
As an employee of OpenTable, you will be part of a global network that includes OpenTable and KAYAK's portfolio of meta-search brands including momondo, Cheapflights, Swoodoo, checkfelix and Mundi. Many employees are dedicated to one brand, but we all have the benefit of using each other's strengths and insights. Together, we're able to help people experience the world through dining and travel.