Your Role and Responsibilities
The IBM Garage was founded by a handful of people in 2014, to help clients adopt IBM Cloud – which was a new thing at the time. The Garage’s way of accelerating business value for its clients has proved so successful that it has expanded steadily, covering more and more of IBM’s portfolio worldwide. A client recently described their experience with us by saying that the Garage “felt like working with a highly agile and creative startup, but at the same time we had full access to the competence, quality, and scale of IBM.”
A brand-new subset of the Garage has been created this year to help introduce our largest clients to the power and speed of working with the Garage to solve their business challenges. We keep our clients focused on their end users and business outcomes, and we help match their needs with IBM’s enterprise technological capabilities.
How We Work
We’re creating squads made up of designers, solution architects, cloud engineers, data scientists, and subject-matter experts. These teams operate in a particular business domain, under a Client Technical Lead, who is a senior person with long-term experience in that domain and a deep understanding of our clients’ technical needs. The teams involve the client in the experiential process of working with the Garage, co-creating value side by side.
This is where you come in. The Garage Designer is a unique role, as you will connect the dots at both abstract and tactical levels: 70% of the role is facilitation of client sessions, and 30% is UI/UX design for enterprise software. You will be at the center of guiding our clients toward identifying the technical business problems to address or opportunities to pursue; prioritizing the most important ones; aligning on next steps; and setting up the IBM team to demonstrate how we can accelerate their business goals.Your Roles and Responsibilities
Naturally we don’t expect that you have experience with every activity listed here, or that you have used every tool that we use. But we do expect you to demonstrate that you have an aptitude for the activities, an ability to learn new techniques and tools, and a curiosity and drive to take on new challenges and thrive in uncertain circumstances.
Your primary focus will be facilitating interactive workshops with clients. We have a set of standard approaches, but every engagement is a little bit customized – sometimes on the fly. One workshop might be about getting alignment to pursue use-case out of many. Another will be discovery to better understand one particular initiative. Another will be a design-thinking workshop to generate solutions to a problem. Another will be using Lean Startup to scope down an opportunity to a Minimum Viable Product to test out a hypothesis.
When your team is asked to work on a client project, you will take part in prep calls with the team to determine the right fit between the client and the Garage, and to decide on an approach for the workshop. You’ll be on calls with the client to identify stakeholders and subject-matter experts who should attend.
When it comes to workshops, Garage Designer shifts among three roles as necessary: Facilitator, Consultant, and Designer.
- As a Facilitator, you will set up some of the logistics and customize the materials beforehand. Then you’re kicking off the meeting, running the activities, keeping things on track, and keeping a high-level view toward a successful outcome.
- Simultaneously, you’re a Consultant, building a relationship with interdisciplinary IBM and client teams to deliver value to the client and create opportunities for IBM.
- As a Designer, you’re advocating for the end user’s needs and good user experiences.
After a workshop, you might create designs for a Proof of Concept, a demo, a Minimum Viable Product, or some other way of demonstrating IBM’s ability to meet the client’s needs. This could require a few days or a few weeks. (Currently we use Sketch for wireframes, and InVision for clickable prototypes.) You might engage in information architecture, research, or evaluation. You’ll occasionally have the opportunity to bring other skills to the table, like visual design, video, or illustration.
Your squad will know an engagement is successful when it has guided customers through our process to where they are aligned on outcomes, convinced of the efficacy of IBM’s technology, and committed to working with IBM’s people, products, and services.
Be aware that for this particular Garage Designer position, the design work is concepts and processes – uncovering business value, defining a problem, shaping solutions, and proving them out. What you’re creating will look less like a visual designer’s portfolio and more like a user researcher’s portfolio.Designers at the Garage, and at IBM
At the Garage, we’re a resource for one another, sharing our experiences. We expect you to demonstrate a growth mindset and to keep learning – and to contribute what you learn back to our practice. And you’ll be part of the IBM design ecosystem, which is the largest design consultancy in the industry.
You can learn more about the Garage Method here: www.ibm.com/garage/method
And about design across IBM here: wibm.com/design
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
We’re hiring at a variety of experience levels to create a well-rounded team. Depending on the seniority of the role you seek, we expect you to have some of the following:
- At least 3 years of UX Design. Highly skilled work in visual and UX design; excellent written communication and storytelling skills. Experience in an Agile, collaborative environment, understanding stakeholder requirements and ensuring that designs serve the users.
- At least 3 years in a client-facing role, including workshop facilitation to shepherd clients through design-thinking methods, anticipate client needs, and work with peers and executives to help ensure an excellent experience for the client.
- At least 2 years using design thinking and agile practices, applied to software and to other areas of business.
- To be considered for a senior design role, it least 2 years in a Lead Designer role with the ability to support non-designers in making make their way through new concepts, and adjusting techniques to ensure all clients gain a clear understanding of the value of design and of their roles in achieving an ideal user experience.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
About Business UnitThe IBM Global Sales team is obsessed with ensuring our clients' success, and our approach to selling is experiential. We are a strategic sales business unit that focuses on understanding and solving our clients’ business challenges to enable their growth and innovation — at scale and with speed. Through interactive demos and engagements, we show (versus tell) what we can do, in order to reach new and existing clients. Join our team of technical sales specialists, consultants, design thinkers, solution specialists, delivery professionals, and other multidisciplinary leaders. With us, you can bring your deep technical and industry expertise to co-create hybrid cloud and AI solutions alongside our clients in more than 175 countries. With IBM Global Sales, you will do more than sell. You will empower clients with the technology and capabilities to transform the way they do business
Your Life @ IBMIBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM's learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
Location StatementIBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
- 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
- World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM's learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
- Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
- Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
- Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
- Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
- Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
This position is eligible for participation in an IBM sales incentive plan. Actual incentive opportunity will be based on performance and the eligible Target Incentive, as addressed in the applicable plan, all of which is subject to change.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBMIBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.