Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE:
GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
USA TODAY’s marketplace platforms group is looking for a software developer to join our product team. We are currently focused on new product development and transformation of large existing businesses into digital first ventures that support our local news presence throughout the United States.
As a software developer, you will play a key role in developing features for the client-side view of our websites and integrating into the API (Application Programmable Interface). You will be working on innovative, highly scalable web applications to bolster, grow and transform our existing business. You will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing these sites while helping to develop new products.Responsibilities:
As a software engineer, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Building additional features into new applications using modern technologies and frameworks.
- Contribute to the team’s ability to quickly deliver high quality code.
- Development of high traffic websites and restful APIs (Application Programmable Interface).
- Troubleshoot operations issues as required.
- Integrate internal as well as third-party web services and components.
- Consistently follow and continue to help improve our processes including source control, deployment, and issue tracking.
- Document solutions to institutionalize knowledge for the development, operational, support, and end user communities.
The USA Today marketplace platforms are a polyglot environment utilizing several key technologies, including:
- Data: GraphQL through Hasura with PostgreSQL.
- Deployment: Kubernetes and Google Cloud Services (GCS).
Given the remote nature of our work environment, front-end software engineers are expected to be comfortable working as autonomous members of our team, attending video meetings, and collaborating using remote software. As such we are looking for:
- Minimum of two years of web development and integration experience.
- Demonstrated development experience, consuming APIs, and web services.
- Practical knowledge of software development methodologies.
- Bachelor’s degree expected in a technical discipline or compensating experience.
Additional ConsiderationsDesired skills would include the following:
- JIRA and Confluence.
- GitHub Actions Workflow for Continuous Deployment.
- Developing and deploying applications managed by Kubernetes and Google Cloud Services (GCS) or similar cloud environments.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at [email protected]