- When I Work is a remote first company. We are open to hiring candidates in the continental US and Ontario, Canada. If an onsite location is important to you in your search, you are welcome to work from our Minneapolis HQ once our offices re-open.
Who We Are We help hourly teams get shift done.
At When I Work, everything we do starts with a mission to make shift work awesome. We deliver on that mission by making every piece of hourly workforce management - scheduling, time tracking, shift trading, team messaging, and more - easy and straightforward for managers and employees alike.
Our feature teams consist of full-stack engineers, mobile engineers, QA analysts, QA automation engineers, designers and product managers. We work within sprints and release our SaaS application daily. We have fun at work while we challenge and support each other.
What You'll Do
As a Full Stack Engineer, you will help build a product that hundreds of thousands of hourly employees and managers use every day to work better together.
Your ideas and code will be put into production and used all over the world. In this role you will:
- Deliver new features, analyze, and react to the data we collect to make the product better
- Contribute to the design and development of new features and investigation of tricky issues
- Navigate trade-offs creatively by optimizing for value we can deliver today iterating on it tomorrow
- Help our existing and new features scale as we drastically increase our customer base
- Work first-hand on everything from a beautiful UI to complex server-side applications, database architecture, our REST API, and microservices
- Mentor teammates to aid in their development and areas of ownership
Who You Are
- You thrive in a team-based environment.
- You communicate effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues.
- You enjoy collaborating with product managers and designers to understand requirements and constraints so you can help your team build an awesome user experience for our customers.
- You enjoy using both the newest and proven tools to be efficient at building out solutions for users that have customers' needs, ease of use, and scalability in mind.
- You enjoy balancing both pragmatic and trailblazing solutions.
- You strive to see the big picture of how our software is deployed and are willing to dig into any part of the stack.
- You work quickly and efficiently without compromising user experience and are ready to cycle through the think-> build -> implement phases in a fast iterative manner.
- You are seeking a highly collaborative, innovative, & passionate work culture.
Experience and Skills Needed
- Professional software development experience in team-focused environments
- Ability to produce quality code that is maintainable, performant, reliable, and secure
- Strong development fundamentals across the full stack spectrum
- Desire to own the big picture of software delivery, including not only the code written but also the delivery systems and infrastructure surrounding it
- Experience with automated testing at the unit, integration, and/or system levels
- Knowledge of database design and concepts (MySQL, NoSQL, ORM)
- A working knowledge of agile development
We use a lot of different technologies to get the job done, and each member of our team brings their own mix of technology experience. We don't expect you to be an expert in all components of our stack. If you have strong fundamentals, familiarity with even a few of these technologies (or equivalents), and have a desire to grow in the others, you could make a valuable contribution:
- Git, Gitlab
- MySQL, DynamoDB
- Kubernetes, Terraform
- AWS (EC2, EKS, Lambda, S3, RDS, DynamoDB, Aurora, Elasticsearch, Kinesis)
What's In It For You
- Professional development allowance
- Paid parental leave
- Medical benefits - employee premiums paid 100% by When I Work
- Dental benefits- employee premiums paid 100% by When I Work
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Flexible work environment
- 401K Match
- Remote first culture including home office set-up stipend and ongoing telecommuter stipend
- Casual dress code
- Dynamic and dedicated team
We believe actions speak louder than words. Every encounter with our people and products should be memorable and helpful. Challenges are exciting, failure is how we learn, and we all have an entrepreneurial spirit. Building an inclusive and equitable workplace isn't lip service. We invest our time and our money in organizations that are not only working to diversify the current jobscape, but also investing in the future of talent. We're motivated by a strong, innovative, and passionate work culture and we're constantly searching for ways to improve and get shift done.
Whether you're a perfect match or not, if it sounds like a good fit, we encourage you to apply. The tech industry is notorious for its lack of diverse representation, and we're aware of the research showing that historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job if they don't believe that they meet all of the criteria. Are you hesitant to submit an application because you're not sure if you check every box? Apply anyway! We would love to hear from you and figure out what you can add to the culture here at When I Work.
We'd love to talk to you! Please submit the following to apply:
- Resume (including months/years of employment for each position).
- Cover letter including:
- an overview of your existing experience
- a convincing reason why you'd like to work at When I Work.
- Must already be authorized to work in the United States or Canada on a full-time basis for any employer.