The Site Reliability Engineer
position is responsible for creating the infrastructure powering the baseball experience as part of MLB.com. Launched in 2001 as the tech arm of Major League Baseball, MLB.com is renowned for creating experiences that baseball fans love - and we're just getting started!
This role offers the opportunity to collaborate with other world-class engineers, product developers, and designers; contribute to award-winning and complex apps and systems; influence the innovation of products used by millions globally; and work in a highly collaborative, results-oriented, team environment.
Using cutting edge technology, our software is consumed by fans, broadcasters, stadiums, MLB Clubs and the League itself. We are looking for Site Reliability Engineers / SRE's that are passionate about building new technologies for the baseball industry. The ideal [email protected]
has a focus on providing consulting services to any and all engineering teams throughout the organization to help in certain key areas:
As an SRE at MLB you will:
- Incident response
- Kubernetes operations
- User experience optimization through SLIs and SLOs
- Observability tooling
- Debugging running systems and providing tools to assist runtime debugging
- Optimizations for cost control
- High Availability and Disaster recovery planning
Things you will almost certainly work on:
- Be an technical evangelist for best practices
- Extensively utilize Terraform for infrastructure as code
- Use and administer Grafana including writing and maintaining plugins
- Write and maintain tools that help software engineering teams function better
- Provide advice around HA and DR initiatives and cost reduction techniques
- Consult with engineering teams in the key areas outlined above
- Help enhance the next generation of APM tooling
- Use Google Cloud Platform
- Automate telemetry collection
- Be available for rotational on-call for SRE managed services
A good fit for this role will:
- Understanding the user experience for services run by the consulted engineering team
- Helping set target objectives for user experience specific to the team/service
- Understanding the cost of running services and set targets accordingly
- Understanding relative service health to help guide engineering effort (SLOs)
- Enhancing observability tooling to make the above possible
- Enhancing alerting tooling to make the above actionable
- Gaining deep understanding of service operation to guide disaster recovery and HA
- Building 'batteries included' solutions that are extensible across the organization
- Prioritize unblocking your teammates, collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Dedicated to continuous improvement of yourself and our SRE capabilities
- Passionate about the value of SRE, but accepting of our role as a patient influencer
- Resourceful in finding extensible and strategic solutions to common problems and creative in engineering custom solutions
- Have a knack for automation and a passion for reducing toil
- Have written code in a compiled language that runs in production somewhere
- Have written code in interpreted languages
- Have worked with time series data extensively and specifically, Circonus/ IronDB (CAQL experience is a bonus)
- Have worked with o11y tools extensively
- Have experience with Terraform
- Understand that the documentation is a product
- Have worked with and gained a solid understanding of Grafana and its ecosystem
- Have experience with Kafka, Helm Charts and Kubernetes
- Understand basic concepts of APM such as tracing
- OpenTelemetry experience is a bonus
What's it like to work at MLB?
Major League Baseball (MLB) is the most historic of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. Employees love working at MLB because of the culture of growth, teamwork, and professionalism. Employees who are most successful at MLB take initiative, know how to identify problems and provide solutions, and always put the Team first. For those ready to step up to the plate and join the Major Leagues, MLB takes the same approach as teams do with their players: empowering them to be at their best by engineering experiences that put employees in the best position to succeed. Major League Baseball is looking for candidates who are passionate about growing America's pastime to best serve its fans for decades to come.
MLB's vision is to be the global sport of choice for youth to play, fans of all backgrounds to enjoy and a desired destination for employment. With a belief that the journey to growth and greatness is ongoing, MLB gives employees the opportunity to continue learning and honing their skills with programs such as: tuition reimbursement; mentorship programs; lunch and learns; online course subscriptions; paid industry certifications; business resource groups; and more.
MLB provides its employees with exceptional medical, dental, and vision coverage. Premiums are 100% employer covered to help employees focus on being their best!
All in-office and ballpark-based positions are subject to MLB's mandatory Covid-19 vaccine policy.
All in-office and ballpark-based positions are subject to MLB's mandatory Covid-19 vaccine policy