Messari is the leading provider of crypto market intelligence products that help professionals navigate crypto/Web3 with confidence. We bring transparency and smarter qualitative and quantitative analytics to the industry by combining a global research database with a comprehensive suite of data visualization and asset discovery tools. We help drive smarter participation in crypto from individuals and institutions alike.
The name "Messari" came from the Franciscan monks who declared "clean books" a moral imperative during the renaissance and pushed merchants to use proper accounting methods. This led to the flourishing of investment via "trust but verify" methods and industry growth throughout Europe.
That's what we aim to do. Provide participants, investors, builders, platforms, and everyone else with reliable information to better participate in the crypto ecosystem.
Our users range from some of the most prominent analysts, investors, and crypto individuals to top organizations including Coinbase, BitGo, Anchorage, 0x, Chainanalysis, Ledger, Compound, MakerDAO, and many more.
We are looking for an experienced backend engineer to improve the capabilities of our finance, sales, and marketing systems. As our business grows and becomes more complex, the needs of our internal customers, particularly our finance team, grow as well. Messari maintains a complex codebase for managing users and accounts, and we integrate with a number of third party tools as well for user authentication, billing, subscription management, etc.
This is a high-touch role where you will work full-time on tools critical to our internal stakeholders, writing new features and automations to help us manage our growing customer base. Experience with billing systems, particularly Stripe, is essential for this role. Although it is internal-facing, this role involves a great deal of creative freedom and opportunity to architect this critical pillar of our business the right way.
The right person for this role should be comfortable with finance and sales systems and excited about the challenge of reverse-engineering some of the oldest code in our codebase, much of which is in Java, into a robust, modular system. We expect you to rewrite much of our related internal tooling from scratch, so there will be little to no legacy code to deal with before too long. For most of our services, we like Go for its simplicity and maintainability. We deploy using Kubernetes on Amazon Web Services. That being said, we're not dogmatic and always believe in using the best tool for the job.
What you'll do
- Design and build a modern user management and billing system using the most pleasant APIs and third-party tools in the space (Stripe, Chargify/Chargebee)
- Manage integrations that help other teams keep productive (Hubspot/Salesforce, NetSuite, etc.)
- Design and build internal reporting tools of use across teams
- Scale up our systems by an order of magnitude
Who you are
- 3+ years experience with modern backend technologies including Golang, Postgres, and AWS (Java is helpful too!)
- Experience with Stripe or another modern billing API in production and at scale
- A desire to work on big complex projects with lots of creative freedom
- A passion for shipping high-quality products
- Empathetic and love to help your teammates grow
- Accounting or finance experience is a plus, but not required
Projects you could work on
- Billing and Subscriptions! Design and build a new system with all the proper integrations to manage our growing list of subscribers, from individuals to large institutional customers.
- User Management! Write a new microservice to own and maintain our customer list internally and across our integrations, handle API key generation, authentication, etc.
- Reporting! Help streamline internal reporting by exposing relevant metrics to our finance and data science teams, and for leadership
What's it like to work with our engineering team?
- A welcoming and open environment with people who love to collaborate on ideas and tackle complex problems
- Work with a small team of engineers with large impact across product, research, and business development
- Participate in forums like Family Meals and Messari Lab to share ideas or technologies you've been exploring and tinkering with
Salary Ranges for this position (depending upon experience):
Associate: $135,000 - $155,000
Mid: $155,000 - $185,000
Senior: $185,000 - $200,000 +
What you'll love about Messari.
We understand in order for you to do your best work, you need the resources to stay healthy, recharge, and feel like you have ownership in the future we are building.
- Competitive Salary and Employee Stock Options: Everyone in our team contributes to the success of our game-changing products, which is why we share all our wins company-wide. As we continue to succeed, stock options and a competitive salary mean you get to enjoy the upside!
- Health, Dental, & Vision: We care about your well-being so we contribute to the cost of your health benefits. Messari covers 80% of your health, dental, and vision!
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Use pretax dollars for any health care needs.
- Life Insurance: Provided to you at no cost, with coverage up to 1x your Annual Salary.
- Disability Insurance: Offering Long-term and Short-term disability to provide a portion of your income during times you are unable to work!
- Flexible Time Off: Forget accrued PTO days. We believe in the power of personal time, so we offer as much flexible time as you need. Just clear it with your team and bon voyage!
- Paid Parental Leave: We encourage you to take care of your little one! We provide 18 weeks for primary caregiver / 4 weeks for secondary caregiver
- WeWork: All Access Pass.
- 401k: 3% Match when you invest in your future with our 401K.
- Flexible working life and $500 WFH set up allowance: Work-life balance is important. Whether you want to work from home or come to our office in New York the choice is yours. To help you get comfortable working from home we'll assist with a $500 contribution.
- Community & Social Events: Messari is a community, we work hard, and bring each other up! Fun and regular company events to relax and connect with teammates.
- Learning and Development: We are dedicated to your professional development. We contribute $1,500 annually for you to invest in your continued education.
- Health & Wellness Perks: Work-life balance and your wellbeing are important to us. To contribute to your mental & physical wellbeing we gift you a brand new Whoop and a subscription to Headspace, as well as Health Advocacy as part of our Employee Assistance Plan.
- As Messari is a fully remote company hiring candidates around the world, our perks and benefit packages may adjust based on your location.
Join our Global, Fully-Remote Team
We believe in building services that help people around the world engage with crypto and seek out talent that can broaden how we build for a diverse, global audience. At Messari, we welcome all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, socioeconomic status, religion, age, marital or parental status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.