Full time position based in Pasadena, CA
OffWorld is a robotics startup working on developing a robotic workforce for heavy industrial jobs on Earth, Moon, asteroids & Mars. OffWorld was founded by an experienced engineering team drawing on decades of tackling formidable engineering challenges at NASA, ESA, SSL/MDA, CERN, Reaction Engines, SAFRAN, Surrey Satellites and Cisco. OffWorld’s first challenge is developing and maturing a modular robotic system for mining on Earth; our robots will go deeper underground than human miners can, eliminate the need for humans to work in life-threatening underground environments and dramatically reduce the environmental footprint and cost of mining.
We have designed a modular robotic architecture that focuses on maximizing the commonality and reusability across components for fast deployment and optimization. Our robotic systems combine sensor information, cutting edge classical/machine learning (ML) algorithms and a robotics real-time system platform for control, decision making and execution.
We are looking for a Lead UX/UI Designer who will be responsible for the implementation of the front end of the real-time Software Platform architecture. You will be working with our Software Architect to implement key modules for the operation of our robots, including the user interface for swarm/multi-unit robot autonomous operations monitoring and exception management, fault detection, isolation and recovery handling, health management, process management, amongst other functions.
Your work will entail both design and implementation of intuitive interfaces (computer and smart pad displays, joysticks, and other types of interfaces) that can ensure low workload and maximum situational awareness for remote monitoring on the field using a remote low latency networking infrastructure. Human Centered Design knowledge for effective decision making and exception management with minimum workload is required. Experience with the organization of large datasets for situational awareness and fast decision-making is a must. You will be responsible for integration and test of robust intrinsically safe components, with maximum levels of reliability, performance and efficiency. You will work with the Mechatronics, Machine Learning and Robotics & Controls engineers to ensure interfaces to the firmware, controls and ML modules is seamless. Your work will be instrumental to ensure effective autonomous operations as a swarm is achieved with maximum human visualization and minimal human intervention.
To hit the ground running, you need:
- MSc or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent with at least 3 years of professional experience.
- Practical experience in the development of UX/UI solutions for IOT, industrial, automotive, robotics applications or equivalent.
- Extensive UI Design Portfolio with deployed finished complex products across relevant industries.
- Extensive experience in the design and development of interaction models, wireframes, screen designs. Demonstrated experience mapping user problems and requirements into an intuitive, effective designs.
- Experience with the implementation of solutions for multiple platforms, such as computer, tablet and phone displays, as well as hybrid solutions (display and joystick, etc).
- VR/AR integration experience for the gamification of user interactions with specialized equipment is desired.
- Experience with the implementation of UX/UI designs for autonomous driving or mobile robotics is particularly sought after, including practical experience in the integration of solutions for autonomous navigation, SLAM, path planning and collision avoidance.
- Experience in collaborative design to develop products with Teams of Mechatronics, Robotics and Industrial engineers is desired. Capable of developing effective partnerships with engineers and product managers to define requirements and translate user needs into effective, elegant and intuitive designs.
- Knowledge of Python, C/C++. Experience with redis, influxdb and other database technologies is a plus. Knowledge of ROS is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written/online communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and organize your work to meet deadlines. Comfortable multi-tasking/working on different projects concurrently.
- Self-driven, passionate, and constantly pursuing knowledge and excellence.
- Nothing-is-impossible attitude
In a nutshell, we offer
- Opportunity to sink your teeth into cutting edge industrial robotics problems
- Opportunity to contribute to the mission of transforming how we mine on Earth today and how we will one day mine on the Moon, asteroids & Mars
- Opportunity to attend relevant conferences in the line of research
- Competitive package
- Offer to join the OffWorld team full-time-if
- You are as crazy-excited about the mission as we are
- You’ve demonstrated you are The Right Stuff