Who is Recruiting from Scratch:
Recruiting from Scratch is a premier talent firm that focuses on placing the best product managers, software, and hardware talent at innovative companies. Our team is 100% remote and we work with teams across the United States to help them hire. We work with companies funded by the best investors including Sequoia Capital, Lightspeed Ventures, Tiger Global Management, A16Z, Accel, DFJ, and more.
If you are a fit, the team will reach out to you about this role or any others that may be a fit for our clients.
A pioneer in K–12 education since 2000, our client is leading the way in next-generation curriculum and assessment. Their captivating core and supplemental programs in ELA, math, and science engage all students in rigorous learning and inspire them to think deeply, creatively, and for themselves. Their formative assessment products turn data into practical instructional support to help students at every skill level build a strong foundation in early reading and math. Their programs provide teachers with powerful tools that help them understand and respond to the needs of all their students. Today, our client serves five million students in all 50 states.
Our client is a leader in creating immersive, rigorous digital learning experiences that look great, play great, and help students expect great things of themselves. Our client has been described as the best tech company in education, and the best education company in tech.
Our client is looking for a talented and passionate Senior Engineering Manager who wants to be a leader within a technology team where every engineer is responsible for the quality of their product and the happiness of their students and teachers.
What You’ll Do
- Technical Leadership: Collaboratively guide teams to innovative and appropriate architectures and tech stacks.
- Technical Guidance: Foster strong technical practices (code review, architectural planning, security by design) across multiple teams
- Execution: Work with product leads to ensure teams have a high-value, high-velocity, and responsive product development lifecycle.
- Deliver: Take responsibility for successful delivery against quarterly OKRs, including leading teams in establishing best practices in estimation, requirements analysis, balancing trade offs, and executing against commitments.
- Communication and Collaboration: Work with Senior technical management, reports, Product
- Owners, Designers and QA to ensure smooth working relationships and the productivity that can drive.
- Strategy: Collaborate with business, product, design and tech leadership to drive business, product, and technical strategy and goals for your team.
- People management: Provide technical leadership, career development, coaching, and mentoring for engineers
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent technical experience demonstrating strong CS fundamentals.
- At least 5 years tech industry experience
- 3+ years designing and building quality internet applications that scale and perform well.
- Proven track record managing delivery of complex projects
- Proven track record as a hands-on leader whom others look to for inspiration and advice.
- Experience designing and building web services.
- Proven track record building testing culture and practices.
- Experience using SQL databases (e.g. Postgresql, MySQL, Oracle).
Familiarity with agile product development methodologies.Preferred Qualifications
Experience with tools they use every day
- Front-end frameworks: Angular, React, the next thing that will replace them all
- Back-end frameworks: Nodejs Express, Java Dropwizard
- Tools and systems: Linux, Jenkins, Docker, AWS
- Data stores: Postgresql, Redshift, S3
- Experience in AWS toolchains and devops
- Proven passion for building and learning: open source contributions, pet projects, self-education, Stack Overflow
- Experience in education or ed-tech