Best Buy Digital and Technology teams are working in a hybrid work model. Most roles can be predominantly work from home but the person who fills this role will must be within a commutable distance to the Richfield, MN, Seattle, WA, Atlanta, GA, Boston, MA Engineering Manager – Multi Channel Ordering Best Buy Digital & Technology Overview
Best Buy is one of the largest multi-channel consumer electronics retailers in the world with technology at its center. While most see Best Buy as a brick-and-mortar retailer, we have a rich legacy of using technology to drive outcomes benefitting our customers. Our team of hundreds of engineers in Digital and Technology fuels growth and spurs innovation on our journey to create exceptional experiences for our customers.
We embrace a culture of rapid experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You'll work in a collaborative, agile environment—one that encourages diversity of thought and a passion for mentoring others. We welcome your industry experience and outside perspectives as we transform to a more digitally focused company.
An Engineering Manager
is responsible for recruiting and building their team or squad and leading that team or squad towards objectives which are aligned with broader objectives of a larger team or organization. An ideal candidate participates in the creation and presentation of technical designs and leads in the delivery of complex solutions. This individual will plan and lead production support with their team, including finding ways to automate and reduce support load on their team. A good candidate will mentor their team members to grow technically through code and architectural reviews and direct interaction with team members, applying past experiences and new learnings as they advance their own craft. Engineering managers also actively learn, practice and improve how they handle the management situations they encounter, and conduct regular 1:1 meetings with their direct reports, focusing on career growth through providing learning opportunities and coaching. Backroom Team
Backroom is a set of store-facing apps that are responsible for pick/pack/Home delivery operation for BOPIS, Curbside, Ship to home and delivery orders which get fulfilled by one of our stores. These apps have integration with more than 20+ different apps across our enterprise including apps under the Order Management, Sourcing, and Inventory staging teams. We are committed to delivering the right software at the right time. This role is on an engineering team that encourages pair programming and test-driven development. External Marketplace Services Team
The External Marketplace Services team builds and delivers software systems that extend fulfillment by Best Buy into partner marketplaces through direct integrations, advertising, and affiliate programs. We work with Best Buy's order management, sourcing, fulfillment, demand planning, category business teams and other product teams to ensure successful integrations which bring Best Buy to where our customers are. We are committed to delivering the right software at the right time. This role is on an engineering team that encourages pair programming and test-driven development. Key Responsibilities
- Leading development of JVM/Spring web applications (Java, Groovy, etc.)
- Partner with product managers and other stakeholders to ensure the team’s technical work aligns with product priorities.
- Collaborate with other team members and leaders to drive the evolution of team practices through continuous improvement
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback
- Identify and oversee tasks in contribution of team and organizational goals.
- Attract, hire, lead and retain team members in multiple roles.
- 3 or more years of experience with Java (and/or JVM frameworks)
- 3 or more years of experience building RESTful Web Services/APIs
- 1 or more years of experience with Spring (Boot, MVC, etc.)
- 1 or more years of experience in Cloud Platform environments (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- 1 or more years of experience with SQL (or NoSQL)
- 1 or more years of experience with Message Queuing technologies
- 1 or more years of experience with (formal or informal) Leadership
Preferred Technical Skills
- 5 or more years of relevant professional experience
- Bachelor's degree in IT, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Significant experience leading engineering projects from a technical and/or people management perspective, and delivering with very high quality
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Demonstrable experience in working in a cross-functional team and stakeholders
Ideal candidates will have hands on knowledge of several of the following core technologies with understanding sufficient for mentoring and teaching:
- Micro service development producing and consuming REST APIs
- Streaming technologies such as Kafka
- Container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)