At Strata-G, we define significance by the extraordinary people we hire, the relationships we build with our clients, and the positive impact we make in the community. Our team of intellectually curious and highly motivated engineers, scientists and business professionals engages with our clients to solve complex energy and environmental challenges around the world.
We are driven by our values to create a culture of significant and positive change for our clients and the world. We Care
We treat our customers and employees as we wish to be treated. Integrity
We are honest and ethical in every endeavor. Service
We continuously strive to please our customers and to exceed their expectations. Quality
We maintain a culture of continuous improvement. Safety
We hold paramount the safety and health of our associates, our customers, the public, and the environment. Innovation
We develop creative solutions to better serve our customers. Attitude
We maintain a positive attitude and value humor. Outreach
We share the results of our successes with the community.
Strata-G is seeking an experienced Frontend Software Engineer
with the following: Summary:
NREL's Cybersecurity Science and Simulation Group (CSSG) is performing research to secure our energy systems from cyberattack, and to make them more resilient to disruptions of any type. Using an on-premises private cloud interconnected with unique and powerful laboratory systems, NREL's cyber range powers our investigation of rapidly evolving communication systems, industrial control systems, internet of things (IoT), and the flow of energy on which we all depend. Our research significantly enhances energy security, resilience, efficiency, and affordability across the United States and the world.
In CSSG, software engineers work closely with network engineers and architects, mathematicians, and security professionals. Every project involves collaboration across NREL's domains of expertise – from renewable generation via wind, solar, and geothermal; to efficient energy consumption in smart buildings, electric vehicles, and industry; to the power systems, energy storage, data and control algorithms needed to ensure the whole system operates reliably.
The successful candidate will support development of multiple software projects, primarily the cyber range application[ (#_ftn1)1] but also development of applications such as the Distributed Energy Resources Cybersecurity Framework (DER-CF) (#_ftn2). The cyber range application orchestrates and automates an experiment's virtual private cloud, enables bidirectional data flow to next-generation devices in NREL's laboratories, and provides analysis and visualization of the experimental outcomes. The successful applicant will work collaboratively to identify, design, implement, and test new functionality across a variety of software applications with a primary focus on the frontend and data visualization. They will be comfortable working in an interdisciplinary environment to remove uncertainty from project requirements and build consensus around outcomes. General Duties:
- Developing software in a team environment
- Working under nominal supervision and providing technical direction
- Providing innovative technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems
- Contributing to the completion of milestones on multiple projects and/or specific programmatic objectives.
- Receiving long-range directions on new assignments, with nominal oversight, on complex features or problems.
- PhD in Computer Science or related field, Or, Master's Degree in Computer Science, or related field, and 3+ years of relevant experience Or, Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or related field, and 5+ years of relevant experience Or, equivalent experience of at least 10 years
- Expertise developing complex software applications using an OO language such as Golang (preferred), Python, C# or C++
- Capacity to learn new programming languages and technology frameworks
- Experience using version control, issue tracking, and backlog management in a team environment
- Experience with CI/CD frameworks and tools, including Gitlab
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Experience with Linux systems
- Flexibility to work in a highly dynamic scientific environment
- Experience developing APIs and microservices
- Experience using test-driven development
- Data modeling experience using XSD and/or JSON Schema
- Development of technical documentation for software applications
- Excitement about improving our national energy security
Strata-G will not sponsor applicants for immigrant or non-immigrant work visas. The successful candidate will be required to submit evidence of identity and employment authorization. Tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10 CFR 707.4, will be conducted by Strata-G and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required to obtain an access authorization prior to employment. Strata-G is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veteran or disabled status.