: Lead Engineer Supervisory/Management Responsibilities
: This position does not have supervisory or management responsibilities FLSA Status
: Exempt Location
: Fully remote, even post-pandemic
United for Respect is a national organization building the voice of people working for the country’s largest corporations. Through scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide family‐sustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media, relational tools, and our digital platform, WorkIt — and bring the workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy.
WorkIt is UFR’s proprietary digital platform that leverages machine learning to provide immediate support to people in low-wage jobs who are struggling to understand and assert their rights under the law and navigate corporate policies. WorkIt can be downloaded directly through Google Play or iTunes to ask any questions about workplace policy or rights via a simple chat interface to receive immediate, easy-to-understand advice and support.
United for Respect (UFR) and WorkIt are seeking a Software Engineer
with a strong technical background in full-stack and/or mobile app software development. The Software Engineer
will help build new technology to help support, bring resources to, and mobilize millions of people who work in low wage retail jobs. What You’ll Be Doing
What You Will Bring
- Working with the product team to fully understand all the ins and outs of our products
- Maintaining and building new cross-platform software applications and back-end services in collaboration with our partners and internal stakeholders
- Conducting and receiving code reviews and providing technical support and mentorship to other team members
- Proactively thinking about edge cases and potential problems with a given task and raising them
- Fixing bugs and creating automated tests to help mitigate the creation of bugs
- Taking ownership of the software development cycle including planning, designing, building, testing, and deployment
- Creating documentation
We’re Excited About You Because You
- Demonstrated excellence in programming
- Our primary stack, and the future of all of our products consists of:
- Flutter/Dart, GraphQL, Neo4j, Express/Node.js
- We have 2 legacy stacks that we are currently migrating to the above:
- Ruby on Rails, Svelte.js, MongoDB
- Laravel/PHP, NativeScript, Angular, MySQL
- You don’t need to know all of these tools. In fact, we are working towards paring down and simplifying our toolset. But you need to know a subset of these tools and be willing and able to pick up and get work done in any given tool given a reasonable period of time for learning.
- Advanced knowledge of Flutter and/or Neo4j will be given special consideration
- Experience developing and deploying production applications leveraging cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Azure, AWS, Digital Ocean, or similar)
- Technical mentorship experience, with direct experience conducting code reviews
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting high standards and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles, as well as the ability to juggle multiple projects at a time and work in a fast-paced environment
- When there is not a pandemic, this position requires travel (averages less than 1x/month national and international)
Salary Range: $90,000-110,000k dependent on experience and location United for Respect is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. United for Respect provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Have the ambition, drive, energy, and the ability to work flexible and long hours when necessary. Although we try to avoid long hours as much as possible, it does happen occasionally.
- Commitment to economic and social justice. You understand and can articulate issues facing communities of color, women, or low-and moderate-income families and can address this in your letter of interest
- Thrive in collaborative working environments and actively seek ways to make your work stronger by sharing your expertise and strengths and leveraging those of others
- Have demonstrated experience contributing to an inclusive working and professional development environment
- Are calm in a crisis, agile, and have great instincts about how to pivot quickly when needed
- Proven track record for being a self-starter
- Embrace technology as an enabler to help you get your job done and to collaborate in a culture that promotes passion in technology