CityBase is on the hunt for a dedicated team player who is committed to continuous improvement (self and work!) to join our Engineering team as Senior Software Engineer! If you have experience in a tech stack that includes Ruby on Rails, or are looking to explore the possibilities of Elixir / Pheonix, this is the opportunity for you!
Engineering @ CityBase
We are remote-first and have team members throughout the United States and Canada, as well as in our headquarters in downtown Chicago. We value our collaborative, team-first culture which supports a healthy work-life balance.
At CityBase, we are organized into cross functional teams and use an agile methodology (Scrum) with a two week sprint. While we collaborate during design phases and sometimes utilize pair programming, we often work independently when coding. We maintain high standards through peer reviews and automated testing. Using ArgoCD and Kubernetes, we are able to quickly spin up an environment to validate our work and deploy on demand.
What to expect from the interview process
We are nice people and take our interview process seriously to ensure there is a good mutual fit. There are four rounds of interviews which encompass behavioral questions, a coding challenge, and system design. We are interested in how you think, problem-solve and who you are. We are not expecting perfection, so please don’t be nervous - we are rooting for you!
The Challenge What You’ll Do:
- Expand our platform to best serve our customers, who are typically government agencies, through a highly available, scalable, reliable, and easy to implement architecture
- Develop automated tests to validate acceptance criteria in our CI/CD environment
- Provide peer code and design reviews to ensure high quality standards
- Identify, propose, and implement improvements to our systems and processes
- Efficiently create maintainable documentation to clearly communicate system design
The Right Fit Who You Are:
Helpful Skills & Experience:
- Dedicated team player with strong interpersonal skills, values humility and respects others
- Lifelong commitment to improving your skills, work habits, and productivity
- Professional who is comfortable with providing and receiving constructive feedback and managing deadlines
- Several years of experience developing scalable backend solutions in a popular dynamic language framework
- Experience with or a strong desire to learn functional programming
- Experience developing against third party APIs
- Possess a disciplined approach in creating readable and testable code
- Proficient in version control fundamentals such as branching, rebasing, and providing peer reviews by way of pull requests
- Experience operating in an agile environment
- Resourceful and comfortable working without complete information
- Ability to prioritize tasks and self manage
- US or Canadian citizen
- Ruby on Rails
- Elixir / Phoenix
- GraphQL / REST
- Event bus / message bus patterns (NATS / RabbitMQ / Kafka)
- Postgres / Redis
- Git / GitHub / GitHub Actions / ArgoCD
- Docker / Kubernetes
- React / Redux / Typescript
- GraphCMS / CMS
- Consulting experience
CityBase’s headquarters are conveniently located in downtown Chicago in the River North neighborhood. CityBase offers hybrid work options so you can prioritize your work-life balance and gain the flexibility you need to do your best work.
What It's Like to Work at CityBase
At CityBase, we’ve created an inviting workspace that fosters a culture of collaboration, innovation, and excitement. As part of the GTY Technology family of companies, we offer a dynamic environment with considerable opportunity for professional growth and advancement. Here are some of the perks that CityBase employees enjoy:
At CityBase you will champion:
- Competitive wages We pay competitive wages and salaries, and we only expect an honest 40 hour week for it.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO) Take the time you need for that special trip or a much needed staycation.
- Flexible time and hybrid work We understand that what a work day looks like differs by employee and the role requirements. Through our interview process we’ll work with you to ensure it's a fit for you and the specific role you’re interested in.
- Benefits Ask us for a copy of our generous benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability Insurance, & 401(k) program.
- Spending Accounts Flexible spending account, dependent flexible spending account, and a pre-tax commuter program + Health club dues reimbursement.
- Culture, care, and fun! We offer a casual-dress workplace, complimentary food and drink, and “de-stress areas” complete with a pool table, a ping pong table, casual seating, and more.
- Kaizen: Have an eagerness for learning and a willingness to constantly improve your own performance
- Thought leadership: Be a thought leader and a teacher to our clients
- Bottom line: Assist in growing the revenue and profitability of the company
- Industry expertise: Acquire and integrate industry knowledge and insight related to general trends, methodologies, emerging technologies, and competitors
Who is CityBase?
CityBase makes government and utility technology that modernizes and unifies the way people find, apply, and pay for services. More than 100 government agencies, utilities, cities, and counties use CityBase technology to provide hassle-free payments and digital services to their customers and staff. CityBase integrates payment functionality, business processes, and communications onto a central, cloud-based platform that consumers can access through the web, mobile, kiosk, and point of sale.
About GTY Technology Holdings Inc.
CityBase is part of GTY Technology Holdings Inc. (“GTY”), a leading public sector technology company. Through its six business units, GTY offers an intuitive cloud-based suite of solutions for state and local governments, education institutions, and healthcare organizations spanning functions in procurement, payments, grant management, budgeting, and permitting. Please visit our website:
https://thecitybase.com/careers/ and check out our Life Page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/gtytechnology/life/citybase/
CityBase and all GTY Business units are committed to providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants and employees will be considered for employment and advancement without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, age, genetic information, sexual or affectional orientation, marital status, status concerning public assistance, familial status, military or veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.