VMware's App Volumes team seeks an experienced Full stack developer to help us improve and evolve our application delivery and virtualization product for Windows virtual machines.Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Workspace ONE is a digital workspace platform that simply and securely delivers and manages any app on any device by integrating access control, application management and multi-platform endpoint management. The digital workspace is a holistic change in the way end-user services are delivered by IT, so you can deliver the apps and data employees need to work across any device.
App Volumes Manager product team builds software that enable customers to realize the digital workspace transformation by enabling them to manage and deliver applications to the virtual desktop. Our goal is to transform the way end users get the applications they need to use for their day to day business, anywhere, anytime without compromising on security and application functionality.
App Volumes is an application virtualization product that allows customers to streamline application delivery and management. We are passionate about rapidly developing high quality software and applying automation and software engineering best practices to everything we do. Continuous improvement is part of our DNA. You can find more information on App Volumes at https://www.vmware.com/products/appvolumes.htmlExplain the vision for this role; What is the primary need, technical challenge, or most significant problem you are going to solve?
Our goal is to simplify application management and delivery for desktops and enable Unified Application Management for all applications. We focus on solving the packaging and virtualization of Windows Applications for simplified application management. As part of the App Volumes team you will be involved in writing code, design and development of application virtualization software. You would also be making sure you present ideas and improvements to the software and innovate on making the code and process better.Within the first 6-12 months, what are the 2-3 most important performance goals I would be expected to complete for you to consider me successful in this role?
You will design and develop application code in App volumes Manager using Ruby on Rails.
You may design and develop application code for microservices in Horizon Cloud Services.
You will need to produce software design and execute them for new use cases for application virtualization.
Along with the new feature development, you would also be expected to jump into customer issues and escalation and resolve them with quality deliverables.What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
In a typical day you will...
- Development and maintenance of a large Ruby-on-Rails application that runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac environments
- Development of microservices in Horizon Cloud Services
- Write and review detailed research and design documents
- Implement full-stack solutions for agile user stories using test-driven design with 100% code coverage
- You will also be working on making sure you produce automated feature testing scripts to enable smooth feature regression testing.
- Read and review code from other developers to reduce bugs, improve implementations, and expand your knowledge
- Investigate and reproduce complex bugs using logs from several infrastructure components
- Improve core libraries that facilitate communication to hypervisor, directory, and data services
- Participate in the Agile Scrum process and attend stand-up, planning, grooming, review, and retrospective meetings
- Strong back ground in Full Stack development using different frameworks and languages and ability to adapt.
- Strong back-end web development skills using Ruby on Rails applications with SQL databases (Postgres, SQLServer) OR proficient in Server Side (Java/J2EE) technologies
- Hands on Expertise in developing features for enterprise scale systems with good knowledge of building high scale services.
- Strong experience with creating and consuming RESTful APIs
- Strong knowledge of test-driven design and testing concepts such as mocks, stubs, fixtures, and spies
- Strong software design and architectural skills in object-oriented and functional programming styles
- Basic knowledge of PKI and SSL certificates
- A high degree of “ownership” - the ability to determine what needs to be done and make it happen
- Passion for Agile software development methodologies and collaborative development
- Understanding of continuous integration practices
- Ability to communicate at all levels of an organization and across diverse cultural, geographical, and linguistic barriers
- 4+ years of industry work experience and hands-on development
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
- Expertise in Azure and/or Amazon Web Services (AWS) and ability to operate in DevOps model.
- Experience with Atlasssian development tools such as Jira, Stash, and Bamboo
- Experience with administration and software development on Windows systems
- Experience with the vSphere SOAP API
- Experience with Active Directory or other LDAP-based directory services
- Experience with other interpreted languages and frameworks such as PHP (Laravel, Cake), Python (Django), JS (Express)
- Basic knowledge of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
- Experience with Jenkins (CI), Cucumber, Bamboo
- Knowledge of common website and enterprise security issues
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time in an year to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our on-site pantries
Engineering and TechnologySubcategory:
Manager and ProfessionalFull Time/ Part Time:
Full TimePosted Date:
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.