Why Patients Need You
Technology impacts everything we do. Pfizer’s digital and ‘data first’ strategy focuses on implementing impactful and innovative technology solutions across all functions from research to manufacturing. Whether you are digitizing drug discovery and development, identifying solutions, or making our work easier and faster, you will be making a difference to countless lives.
What You Will Achieve
The HCP Products and solutions team provides a comprehensive suite of technology solutions to enhance the Health Care Provider experience. Experiences include all aspects of medical information on products, preventative care, disease awareness, diagnosis, treatment options, payment assistance, side effect management, care programs, adherence assistance, and long-term maintenance of care.
HCP Products and solution team is driven to ensure that every doctor, pharmacist, or other appropriate stakeholder in the system are given easy access to the information and tools that they need to manage patients and get the best possible outcome. Opportunities exist in web, mobile, and the electronic medical record (EMR) space to empower HCPs through easier access to information and reporting of health data.
The Director, Engineering Lead is accountable for all aspects of technical design and delivery of the HCP Platform along with owning the product roadmap and customer engagement. The HCP Platform enables our development teams to quickly build web and serverless applications in a secure and modern framework, truly enabling DevOps at Pfizer. The HCP platform offers advanced features across a scalable set of technologies that allow for rapid rollout of the HCP Portal to markets and new features to be implemented on demand vs. through long lead time and release cycles.
This crucial role leads high performing Development teams delivering the code outputs necessary to achieve the HCP roadmap, vision and strategy to be achieved. They work alongside other platform, project and product teams, ensuring the technical deliverables are aligned to global and BU level.
The primary responsibility of this position is to lead the HCP technical team, ensuring successful delivery of platform objectives, aligned to global and BU level objectives.
Engagement with our internal customers is key, the successful candidate will form relationships with our customers to help build and prioritize the HCP Portal technical solutions.
HCP Portal is built on a wide variety of technologies. Most sites are JAM stack application augmented with AWS based microservices and delivered through a global Cloudflare CDN with edge computing through Cloudflare workers. It also integrates with many modern and legacy downstream services built on a variety of technologies.
In addition to the development of the core platform the successful candidate will oversee and guide all development conducted on the platform itself.
- A detailed understanding of the technical landscape, both inside and outside of Pfizer. The candidate will have demonstrable subject matter expertise in multiple of our foundational technologies/areas such as open-source technology, middleware integration, web and cloud development, database design and data modelling, business intelligence and reporting. Whilst being recognized as a technical SME, this role requires a solid understanding of the business and to be able to successfully translate this knowledge into day-to-day decision making.
- Detail oriented, persistent, strong desire to produce quality applications focused on user experience.
- Autonomy to make design decisions for the platform which will have an impact across all BU’s & business teams that make use of this platform. Alongside this primary focus it is imperative that knowledge is actively shared, and decisions are based on multiple inputs across the wider team and BU.
- Responsible for the design, development, security, scalability, management and development of continuous integration, release management, code quality and deployment capability for production applications across the platform ecosystem.
- Be a champion of innovation within the immediate and wider team, developing resources and processes to adopt innovative thinking and approach to problems. Take appropriate risks to move quickly, make mistakes and pivot when needed in the pursuit of the desired results. Guide reports on acceptable levels of risk-taking under the same model.
- Establish close partnerships with relevant Platform Engineering and Operations colleagues to ensure alignment in all areas of development strategy, process, operational needs, DevOps culture and other areas relevant to excellence in the asset lifecycle of assets in the portfolio. Ensure strong alignment of visions and strategies in how DSE delivers and runs its technologies.
- Embrace a DevSecOps mentality and ensure the model’s success, building a culture of shared responsibility and transparency leading to higher quality and far quicker delivery of output.
- Take part in the culture of measurement, learning and feedback.
- Leverage industry best practice and experience to ensure that security is baked into deliverables from the start, and that the project/program fully embraces a DevSecOps and shift-left mentality.
- Develop plans for managing talent inside and outside of the immediate span of control and ensure that leadership bench strength is taken into consideration. Ensure the talent base has the skills required to complete tasks of today and be prepared for the changing and more complex business needs of tomorrow.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Information Management, Computer Science, Engineering, Technology Management or relevant disciplines or 12+ years industry experience in technical leadership roles
- Deep practical experience with Laravel & PHP for a minimum of 5 years. Experience architecting and managing large scale AWS environments
- Excellent experience as an information technology professional in roles such as a software architect and/or developer, systems engineer, computer engineer, engineering lead, technical team lead.
- Experience managing teams including the financials of contract or colleague resources.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with increasing responsibility designing, delivering, and maintaining large-scale, global systems and platforms.
- Demonstrable experience operating in a DevOps environment.
- Demonstrable experience of modern software engineering, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and releasing.
- Demonstrable experience with testing strategies including TDD, Contract Testing, BDD, API Mocking.
- Demonstrable experience of RESTful APIs, integration and microservice patterns. AWS Infrastructure scaling and optimization best practices.
- Demonstrable experience of cloud integration patterns, data modeling, cloud development, push notification services, AWS development, deep PHP and Laravel experience, CI/CD practices, and able to lead software engineers in these areas.
- Expert understanding of code versioning tools such as git.
- Demonstrable understanding of object-oriented programming.
- Experience with Atlassian (Jira, Confluence), GitHub an asset.
Preferred Qualifications / Experience
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience with multiple of the following technologies.
- Amazon Web Services
- Cloudflare CDN and Cloudflare Workers
- Adobe Analytics
- API Design
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to establish relationships, influence outcomes, and deliver effective presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work with others in a constructive and collaborative manner and influence resources outside of the immediate span of control.
- Ability to lead in a complex, matrix environment with geographically distributed resources.
- Ability to take a systematic approach to estimation of technical projects.
- Excellent skills in analysis, critical thinking and planning, oral and written communication, consensus building, facilitation, negotiation and the ability to readily learn a new business area.
- Technology solutions delivery in a pharmaceutical or regulated environment a bonus.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Travel will be required as part of this role as it is a virtual position.
- Expectations around travel will vary but you will need to be capable of travel within the region and to other regions.
- Our business is a 7x24x365 endeavor.
- This role may on occasion require physical or virtual participation on a weekend, holiday, or after normal business hours.
Work Location Assignment: Flexible
Last Date to Apply for Job: 7/12/2022
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Information & Business Tech