HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like you’re part of something bigger, it’s because you are. At Amgen, our shared mission—to serve patients—drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve together—researching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. It’s time for a career you can be proud of.
What you will do
Let’s do this. Let’s change the world. The Research & Automation Technologies group is seeking to fill a Principal Engineer
position to expand the group's impact into Process Development. In this vital role, you will be responsible for the delivery of innovative
lab automation solutions that speed the development of critical drugs for Amgen’s patients. These solutions will come from the Principal Engineer
’s ability to collaborate with stakeholder scientists to help develop and fine tune their processes through an innovative
combination of existing and new lab automation and software. This position requires both breadth and depth of mechanical and software engineering
skills, as well as industry knowledge and a lot of creativity. Specific responsibilities will include:
Support the development of workflows for high-throughput robotic platforms in Drug Substance Technologies in Process Development including:
- Liquid handlers including Biomek, TECAN, Hamilton and/or Dynamic Devices that support molecular biology, cell culture, and purification workflows
- Berkeley Lights Beacon
- Ambr 15, Ambr 250
- Unchained Powder Junior - Many-to-Many solid dispensing + 6-tip needle for liquid dispensing
- Unchained OSR/Junior – 1-tip needle for liquid dispensing; built-in 8-well pressurized reactor
- Quantos Chronect – Many-to-Many solid dispensing
- Quantos QS30 – Single-to-Many solid dispensing
Automated Data Integration – Support Drug Substance Technologies team with automation of data integration from multiple instruments to automate data visualization and decision making. We have multiple servers that house different pieces of information. Our current process is to output each piece of data as csv file and manually manipulate to join the data together. Support someone who can write a program that can automate the data integration.
Custom Built Lab Parts – Translate requirements into solid models (SolidWorks), then hand over for fabrication (by 3D printing, laser cutting, machining, etc.) custom parts and assemblies.
For all of the above:
- Coordinate maintenance and update/s for hardware and software, instrument repairs and PM for automation platforms.
- Collaborate with IS and trouble shoot software, driver and connection issues.
- Support script writing and troubleshooting for Liquid handlers
- Track/record problems with the system and provide hands-on assistance in error-recovery / troubleshooting as needed
- Collaborate with internal and external groups to identify appropriate solutions to improve methods and workflows
- Help support the creation of user guides and train staff as needed and assist with operation of automation platforms.
- Point person for the latest automation technologies/ instrumentation for current and future business needs
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dynamic professional we seek is an Engineer
with these qualifications.
Doctorate degree and 2 years of related experience
Master’s degree and 6 years of related experience
Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of related experience
’s degree and 10 years of related experience
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates’ professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.